Skip to content

Public Adjuster Verses Attorney

A property damage attorney and a public adjuster are both professionals who can help you with your insurance claim after a property loss. However, there are some key differences between the two.

Public adjusters are independent contractors who represent policyholders in insurance claims. They have specialized knowledge of insurance law and procedures, and they can help you get the most out of your claim. Public adjusters typically charge a commission of 10-20% of the settlement amount, but they can save you much more than that by negotiating a higher settlement with your insurance company.

Property damage attorneys are lawyers who specialize in insurance law. They can help you if your claim is denied, or if you have any other legal issues related to your insurance claim. Property damage attorneys typically charge a contingency fee, which means they only get paid if they recover damages on your behalf. The contingency fee is typically 30-40% of the settlement amount.

Here is a table that summarizes the key differences between public adjusters and property damage attorneys:

Factor Public adjuster Property damage attorney
Education and training Not required to be a lawyer Must be a licensed lawyer
Fee structure Commission of 10-20% of settlement amount Contingency fee of 30-40% of settlement amount
Specialization Insurance law Insurance law and other areas of law
* Can help you get the most out of your claim * Can represent you in court if necessary
* Typically less expensive than an attorney * More experienced in handling legal issues
* Not required to be a lawyer * May not be as familiar with insurance law as a public adjuster
* May not be able to represent you in court * Can be more expensive than a public adjuster

Which one should you choose?

The best way to decide whether to hire a public adjuster or a property damage attorney is to consult with both and get their advice on your specific situation. If you have a straightforward claim and you are confident that you can handle the negotiations with your insurance company, then you may be able to save money by hiring a public adjuster. However, if your claim is complex or if you have any legal issues, then you may want to hire a property damage attorney.

Give us a call +1 (404) 445-5671 and we will go over your unique situation and help you decide.

Skip to content